FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Who will history really remember?

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view     Forum Index -> Past, Present, Future Missions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
freeyourmind
Yellow
Yellow

Chapter: Yes

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 12:01 am 
Post subject: Who will history really remember?

From the moment The Eagle touched down on the surface of the moon, it was clear that one of the two men inside would become one of the most renowned names in the history of our planet. Neil Armstrong, being the first human to set foot on a celestrial body other than the Earth, so far is unmatched in his accomplishment by any living human. So is setting foot on Mars before any other human a greater accomplishment?
And to the point, will Armstrong be remembered as the man who first crossed the void of space to walk upon the moon, or will history keep a semi-complete record, that it was the effort of many, many people all working together that allowed him to first stroll lightly on the face of the gray, shimmering body that has starred down on mankind since the begining of our time?
Christopher Columbus sailed the Ocean Blue in 1492, as we can recall from the whimsical rhymes of our childhood. But that was his personal accomplishment, his brainchild, albiet by accient, since it was he who lobbied the governments of Europe to fund his trip, and he who commanded the voyage. It was indeed Columbus's idea to sail into the westward void of ocean.
But this is something that Armstrong cannot claim. It was not his brainchild, he was more or less the most excellent candidate for the job which many engineers and scientists conspired to create. So will he, 500 years from now, be remembered as the man who leap unto the moon?
This of course begs a question mentioned earlier in this... err... rant. Will the first person on Mars have a reputation like Columbus or perhaps Armstrong? Or does the fact that Mars is a planet bear less significance than the fact that the moon is another world?

Hmmm this sounds like itll be a little confusing but Ill post it anyway.

P.S. Don't forget that I used the words, "most excellent" to describe Neil Armstrong, since it is in no way my intention to belittle his acomplishments in any way.
MirariNefas
Turquoise
Turquoise

Chapter: No

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 12:41 am 
Post subject:

If any one person should really be remembered for the voyage t the moon, it should probably be Wernher von Braun. Sadly, our minds tend not to work that way. The guy who sits behind the wheel at the Indy 500 gets all the fame while his engineers toil.

On the other hand, it von Braun is a somewhat controversial figure to venerate, with the Nazism and all that.
Marsman
Turquoise
Turquoise

View my works (6)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 3:52 am 
Post subject:

Robert Goddard could also be one of those names. As far as I know the true authors of the original push to the Moon were the U.S government and military in the cold war.

"You must have long-range goals to keep from being frustrated by short-range failure" ~ Charles Nobel
Fridamimi
Martian

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2016 5:15 am 
Post subject: Who will history really remember

I just read the article on Sydney Half in the SMH and was wondering who male and female people think will win this year?
mimmi31
Martian

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 2:09 pm 
Post subject:

Not bad, that's what I was looking for!
mimmi31
Martian

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 11:09 am 
Post subject:

I really interesting the way you highlighted some important points. Thanks very much
salonsequipment org
Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view     Forum Index -> Past, Present, Future Missions All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: