FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Humans need two Earths?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view     Forum Index -> Related Topics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MirariNefas
Turquoise
Turquoise

Chapter: No

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 3:43 pm 
Post subject:

We went over population issues once before here http: www redcolony com forum viewtopic php?t=734. I stand by my analysis there, at modern Earth distribution levels we can expect 1.2 billion, but Earth is rather sparsely populated when you ignore our ecological weight. Future technologies and organization schemes may allow a radically higher population level.

So, Mars might hold a great number of people, but then the question is, shouldn't Earth be able to as well? Underground cities, artificial island cities, underwater cities, super-dense arcology cities all add up to giving us a lot of room. We'll definately need to figure out how to recycle though, on Earth and Mars, and we'll still need space resources to pull it off.
JohnBono
Brown
Brown

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 2:18 pm 
Post subject:

John Carter, I'd like you to read a book called The High Frontier (you've probably heard of it). It pretty much is my backup for most of my arguments here on the RC forums. It goes into good detail on the risks of micrometeorites and how to dea with them, and talks greatly about the economics of setting up space colonies with materials from the moon and NEOs.
As far as mars goes, even if we can make farming take as little land as the people that live on it, you're still only doubling mandkind's population.
That's really only a solution that works for ony a couple generations unless we institute population controls. Though it does protect us from catastrophe quite well.
rvm45
Martian

Chapter: Yes

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 5:13 am 
Post subject:

.....I've seen many of the extrapolations of how many human beings could concievably live at L4 and L5; but I'd also assumed that we'd send up a starter batch of people; along with a steady trickle; but that most of those trillions and quadrillions of people would be manufactured on site.

.....Assume, for the sake of argument; that we've come up with a ridiculously easy; cheap way to make O'Neil colonies; Torus colonies; Bernal speres- and a half dozen future designs that we haven't even thought of yet.In fact, we have an overabundance of space station real estate...

.....Even so; do any of you forsee the day that enough of the Earth's excess population could be lifted into space; to seriously lower the Earth's total population? If so, HOW?

.....That's a facinating concept.(And it did seem to me what some were suggesting.)

.....rvm45 thumright
MirariNefas
Turquoise
Turquoise

Chapter: No

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 1:23 pm 
Post subject:

If we had a highly streamlined system with scramjets and a maglev tracked assist, we would greatly reduce the need for high mass, high maintenance rockets. With a generation or two of development, I could see that handling hundreds of flights a day, and tens of thousands of people to orbit every day. Even if most of those people come back to Earth after their (expensive) trips, that could easily give us emigration figures of a million people per year. That isn't much in the face of billions, but our population growth is slowing. If things continue the way they are, our population will even start shrinking. I'm not sure we'll ever have to worry about transporting trillions to orbit.

Of course, those arguments were based on technologies seeing development today. In a hundred years, things will probably look better. Hopefully a robust space elevator design will prove feasible. In that case, there's really very little limit.
mars2015
Red
Red

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 3:49 pm 
Post subject:

ares2101 wrote:
Some people here are making some good points about Space Colonies versus Mars, allow me to weigh in.

Mars cannot make any more than a dent in the population problem. It currently has land area roughly equal to Earth's. After terraforming, half that will be taken away by oceans (which we can only do so much) and a full third will be taken up by The Tharsis Bulge and Elysium Mons, which will be too high to be habitable. Even if Mars could be instantly terraformed, it will offer only 20% of the land area Earth has, and that doesn't take into account how big the southern ice cap will likely get.

Not necessarily. You forget one MAJOR fact:

The air pressure gradient, therefore the temperature gradient as well, of a 1 bar terraformed martian atmosphere is one-third earth's due to lower gravity. The atmosphere will be "deeper" than Earth's. Going up 9km in elevation on a terraformed Mars with a 1 bar sea-level pressure would be the equivalent of going up 3km on Earth. So much of the Tharsis bulge would have the same air pressure as a place like Flagstaff, Arizona, or perhaps Quito, Ecuador at worst. Thin, but hardly uninhabitable by any stretch of the imagination.
Fridamimi
Martian

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2016 3:00 am 
Post subject: Humans need two Earths

Certainly dont need much to tour, just the ability to get your luggage on.

I want a Grom

#AMBERZODIAC JEWELRY, Earrinngs, ASTROLOGY, BALTIC AMBER PERSONALIZED

You are Welcome in my Baltic Amber shop #AmberWizard! http: www amberwizard eu

Baltic AMBER transparent silver Earrings
Astrology birth day gift present BIRTHDAYSTONE

KimberlyKelton
Martian

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2016 6:36 am 
Post subject: RE:

Hello, guys! It seems that our conversation will last forever and will never end. Here is the continuation of this description: http: bigpaperwriter com blog essay-on-the-principle-of-population. Looking forward to hearing your thoughts!
Fridamimi
Martian

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2016 5:28 am 
Post subject: Humans need two Earths

Certainly dont need much to tour, just the ability to get your luggage on.

I want a Grom
Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view     Forum Index -> Related Topics All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: