FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Non-rotating Airlock
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view     Hacked BY ALAMUT. Forum Index -> Space and Extra-solar Colonies
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gourdhead
Lime
Lime

Chapter: Yes

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 8:59 am 
Post subject:

Quote:
So if you have a radius of 100 m and the averaged normal force between the 2 rotating sections is 100 N and the coefficient of friction is 0.3, then the apparatus would dissipate 18 840 J per rotation.
What did you use for N? In an interplanetary vehicle I would expect the value of N to approach zero (free fall environment) and the coefficient of dynamic friction, when the best lubricants are used, to be nearer 0.003. When the vehicle is being accelerated by the thrust engines, thrust bearings will be required for the centrifuge and N will be proportional to the thrust force (from f = ma; where m is the mass of the centrifuge).
scienceguy
Lime
Lime

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 8:38 pm 
Post subject:

I used 100 N for N. You probably can estimate this better than me, Guordhead. I didn't know you could get a coefficient of friction of 0.003 for a rotating mechanism.
Gourdhead
Lime
Lime

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 9:12 am 
Post subject:

Quote:
I didn't know you could get a coefficient of friction of 0.003 for a rotating mechanism.
I don't know it either; I was guessing. 100 newtons seems like a reasonable guess.
AjaxWoji
Orange
Orange

Chapter: No

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 9:57 pm 
Post subject:

I looked at everyone elses solutions, and they look really good, but here is another. The red sections and blue sections should be able to spin at the joint, where presumably there would be a bearing and a seal as indicated in the picture. A Spherical bell would surround that joint, and would have seals also.

At 760 Torr, the red and blue sections will experience Viscous gas flow. At considerably less than 100 Millitorr, the green section that is a spherical shell that surrounds the bearing and seal joint for the red and blue sections will experence Molecular flow. As long as a the seal at the joint between the red and blue sections is not leaky, and as long as a small vacuum pump can keep pulling the small amount of leakage back into the red and blue sections, very very little gas will leak out of the green section into the higher Vacuum of the space environment. With Molecular flow, the molecules do not push each other towards the opening (Seal). Instead, for a molecule to get out of the green section into the space environment, it has to bounce towards the seal, and somehow find it's way through it.

Supposing it was maintained well, and a small amount of replacement gas were provided periodically, it would work ok. It's not perfect, but workable.
MirariNefas
Turquoise
Turquoise

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 11:35 pm 
Post subject:

Quote:
and as long as a small vacuum pump can keep pulling the small amount of leakage back into the red and blue sections,

I'm pretty sure that gas can't be corralled with a vacuum pump under molecular flow conditions.

On the other hand, there may be other ways of capturing this leakage. Perhaps the green chamber could have a material which reversibly reacts with the compounds which might leak into it. After a long while it becomes saturated, and then that material would be cycled along to a reprocessing plant where conditions are right for it to release the bound molecules.

It would be like those little packs that come with dried foods which absorb moisture, except we'd periodically take the pack back to a little area where the moisture is boiled out and reused. The chamber would be kept "dry" of oxygen and nitrogen, while preventing them from escaping to the outside void.

I think I'm liking this system overall. It's an active system which will require input and maintenance, which is bad, but the effort should be small enough that it isn't much burden to a large space colony.
AjaxWoji
Orange
Orange

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2007 1:16 am 
Post subject:

My idea of a most useful habitat. Simple diagram. Three rotating spheres (Red). Each sphere inside a stationary sphere. The space between the spheres (Green) evacuated with roughing pumps to reduce air friction. The coatings of all surfaces of the green spaces teflon or the equivalent, so in the case of disastor where surfaces rub accumulative can be reduced. All stationary spheres are anchored to the cylinder in which they reside.
The three do not have to rotate in the same directions. One should generate Earth simulated gravitation. The others can be set to the simulation desired. If it costs X$ to make one sphere, then the other two should be built for a lesser cost per sphere, since the techniques and equipment would have already have been worked out. Food production can be anywhere, but inside the spheres, it will have to be under artificial lighting. Seals around different twisting junctions should keep the leakage into the green areas to a minimum. Access between each presurized section should be possible without stopping rotation. Extensive experiments could be carried out before actually trying to settle people on the Moon and Mars and other places and expecting them to live a lifetime and raise a family in those gravitational environments. Also, visitors from such planets could reside in such habitats at each world. A leak to the green evacuated areas from a pressurized area should not result in life threating conditions in that depressurizing area. However a big leak might damage the bearings of the spinning spheres. In such a situation, I would suppose the spheres would be allowed to cease rotation.

The whole thing would be expensive, but useful and rather safe.
Fridamimi
Martian

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2016 5:13 am 
Post subject: Non rotating Airlock

What are some of the tactics pregnant women can use to share the pregnancy experience with non biological family?
What are some of the names/titles used and is there anything that can be done to make it a more integrated experience?

Natja

#AMBERZODIAC JEWELRY, ASTROLOGY, BALTIC AMBER PERSONALIZED

You are Welcome in my Baltic Amber collection #AmberWizard! http: www amberwizard eu

Green cognac huge necklace with inclusions transparent
Astrology birth day gift present BIRTHDAYSTONE

Bettymaf
Martian

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2016 9:35 am 

What are some of the tactics pregnant women can use to share the pregnancy experience with non biological family?
What are some of the names/titles used and is there anything that can be done to make it a more integrated experience?

Natja

New website !
Watch the last New movie in streaming for free here :
http: bit ly 2fOOkBn

Keywords :

The walking dead season 7 streaming
Doctor Strange streaming
Trolls streaming
Hacksaw Ridge streaming
Boo! A Madea Halloween streaming
Inferno streaming
The Accountant streaming
Jack Reacher : Never Go Back streaming
Ouija: Origin of Evil streaming
The Girl On The Train streaming
Miss Peregrine's Home For Peculiar Children streaming
Keeping Up With The Joneses streaming
Bridget Jones Baby streaming
Passengers streaming
Creative Control streaming
B76otDP
Martian

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2016 12:28 am 

Hi amy, i just pm a moderator on there and explained everything.
Couldnt contact the mod i wanted, just have to wait and see what responce i get now?. hopefully a good one.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view     Hacked BY ALAMUT. Forum Index -> Space and Extra-solar Colonies All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: