FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Human

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view     Hacked BY ALAMUT. Forum Index -> Related Topics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CALykins
Martian

Chapter: Yes

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 7:35 pm 
Post subject: The Human

Has anyone ever read Dune. My all time favorite book. Would colonists become alienated from Earth similar to the Fremen?

The summary is my question as to what becomes of the Human ego when it leaves earth and brings it's humanity (good and bad) into true alien environment? What will it grow to become?

Has anyone ever pondered the religion and psychology of a colonist race? Does history repeat itself? Will Mars become a new symbol of freedom? Will humanity redefine the meaning of Manifest Destiny?
There will be Humans and that means government and war. What will these colonial governments be like? What will war be like?
How would a religion react to living outside of Earth and possibly the solar system.

What about music, literature and entertainment? Music has evolved so fast in the past century and grows so fast that i can't even imagine what the future will hold.
Shakespeare plays have been redone and retold in so many ways. O Brother Where Art Thou? is based on The Odyssey. What happens to Star Wars? Battlestar Galactica already has one remake. How many buildings will it take to house every episode of Star Trek and Stargate? In fact, what would constitute Science Fiction in the future? Will Soap Opera become indivisible from Space Opera?
louis
Lime
Lime

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 9:24 pm 
Post subject:

Yes, I've contemplated it and tried to offer some insights in my Mars story thread.

Obviously the real test comes when people are born and live all or most of their lives on Mars.

I don't think war is necessary on the planet. We have societies on earth that cover millions of square miles and there is no war within their borders.

As long as we get the constitution right and we keep nation states off the planet there is no reason why Mars should have conflict imported.

I think there could be quite a strong art drive in the new civilisation. In the absence of flora and fauna the new society will want to create its own variety.
Also, there won't be much in the way of consumer goods to begin with - which will allow people to concentrate on their mental life and on the arts, science and education.

I think the people there will have a strong sense of the fragility of human's presence in the solar system. On earth every day life is geared towards our survival. On Mars every day life is geared towards the extinction of humanity. Moreover it will be a very small community to begin with whihc will underline its fragility.
CALykins
Martian

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 11:34 pm 
Post subject: Sorry for the rants

I have a dim view on humanity and what i believe to be the Universe's Orchestrated Chaos, almost like Kentaro Miura's Berserk. I think that once Mars becomes stable and profitable, it will become a British Colony if you pardon the reference. Earth being the oppressor. But i also believe long after Mars gains independence, it will become a needed ally in expanding outside the system. It almost seems like we have to prove we can handle what we already have before the universe will give us more; tearing us apart and rebuilding us newer like emerging from the dark ages into the renaissance. Long story short, i believe humanity is too chaotic to allow any lasting peace but i could be wrong, it might be sooner than i think.

I always imagined far enough into a Martian Colony, it would be like the British Invasion where most of the bands that influenced rock would be from "Across the Pond" and Mars would be the musical capitol.

I'm still new here so i haven't found your story yet. It's hard to find many stories dedicated to Mars but that was before i found this site. I've been working on multiple versions of mine since i was in high school. Before that, the story was just in the universe i created i call the War Pigs universe and i had never intended to bring much focus on Earth at all. I have been building this universe, planet by planet since i was twelve.
Martian Republic
Orange
Orange

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 8:21 pm 
Post subject:

Actually it is the Empires that we have to worry about and not the nation states. It is Empires that like the British Empire or the Roman Empire that oppresses people and causes wars. Those Empire are run by a financial class that has a blood line that goes way back to Mesopotamia in the middle east. They moved there operation to the Roman Empire with the rise of the creation of the Roman Empire. When the Roman Empire fall, they moved to Vince and stayed there for five hundred years. They had a private banking system called a Linda with about forty to fifty families association. In the seventeen to eighteen Century, they moved there operation to Great Britain in what called the City of London or the Old City of London which is like the Vatican in Roman for the Catholic Church, but this is the financial Oligarchy headquarters.They were the ones that formed most of those Kings and Queens or Royalty class in Europe that caused most of those wars. The nation State was created for the expressed purpose of defeating those Empires and that financial Oligarchy that been causing all this problem. The United States with it Constitution was created for the expressed purpose of defeating this financial Oligarchy, but the United States is currently under it control instead of activity fighting that financial Oligarchy.

Without a constitutional nation state like the United States to take up the business of colonizing Mars or a group of nations states agreeing to colonizing Mars for Mankind, the colonization of Mars will never get done.

Larry,
louis
Lime
Lime

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 10:23 pm 
Post subject:

Larry, we'll see...my money's on Elon Musk doing it before any nation state.
Terraformer
Red
Red

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2008 7:12 am 
Post subject:

Not mine. My money's on a group of Private companies (My favorites are Bigelow, SpaceX and SpaceDev) doing it before any nation-state. SpaceX couldn't do it on their own, they've only just started in rocket launches. Bigelow has experience in actually building spacecraft. I think the first craft to reach Mars will be inflatable.
louis
Lime
Lime

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2008 7:26 am 
Post subject:

Yes - you might be right Terraformer. There's some synergy there but on the other hand there might also be a mighty clash of egos!

I've read that Elon Musk does intend getting to Mars and he seems to be planning for all aspects of space travel/exploration.

Interesting when you say the CRAFT will be inflatable. You mean the actually space ship and not just the habitat I take it?

What are the advantages of an inflatable space craft?
Terraformer
Red
Red

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2008 10:56 am 
Post subject:

Less mass that needs to be launched from Earth? Bigger size? If inflatable spacestations can work (Genesis-1), why not spacecraft? Meteroids might be a problem, but there are ways around that.
Fridamimi
Martian

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2016 11:51 pm 
Post subject: The Human

"Panaca Jane" is my aircraft

We're the only helicopter in fire that's got nose-art on it
Check it out Not bad, huh?
Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view     Hacked BY ALAMUT. Forum Index -> Related Topics All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: