FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

A problem with centrifuge based colonys!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view     Hacked BY ALAMUT. Forum Index -> Space and Extra-solar Colonies
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Terraformer
Red
Red

Chapter: Yes

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 5:35 pm 
Post subject:

How do the O'Neill designs intend to supply sunlight? Remeber, everyone is facing in towards the center of the colony. A strip of lights/persex?
vordhosbn
Martian

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 2:47 pm 
Post subject:

Mirrors maybe?
But about the concentric design. Last i check, finding extra space in the outer space is not a much of a problem. Laughing
A cylindrical design, where all of the surface has 9,8 m/s acceleration seem more convenient. Besides it can easily be expanded to the left or to the right. And the new expansions will have the same conditions like the old ones.
MirariNefas
Turquoise
Turquoise

Chapter: No

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 7:26 pm 
Post subject:

Quote:
How do the O'Neill designs intend to supply sunlight?

Quote:
Mirrors maybe?

Yes, mirrors. Check out http: en wikipedia org wiki O%27Neill_cylinder. The illustrations say it all. They alternate land segments with window segments, and exterior mirrors direct light through the windows onto an opposing segment of land. I find it an inefficient usage of mass, personally.

Quote:
But about the concentric design. Last i check, finding extra space in the outer space is not a much of a problem.

It's not about space, it's about mass and work. It takes a lot of mined materials and a lot of man hours to build something like an O'Neil, so you want to build it efficiently. Adding more levels is easier than building multiple O'Neils and takes fewer resources, and high levels with lower gravity would have industrial and commercial value.

Quote:
A cylindrical design, where all of the surface has 9,8 m/s acceleration seem more convenient. Besides it can easily be expanded to the left or to the right.

You'd think so, but it's not rotationally stable. Long objects tend to want to flip end over end on the long axis, not the short one. The longer you make it, the more random perturbations will increase this tendency. You'll need thrusters to constantly correct this.

I favor a dumbbell design instead, though I don't know of one that has been really fleshed out.
Fridamimi
Martian

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2016 5:26 am 
Post subject: A problem with centrifuge based colonys

Thanks Kevin, but how to open a MAT file? When I right click I only have the option "Open" and not "Open With".
When I open the MAT file I dont see nothing...
And question 2: do I have to edit skin1p and skin1q also?
Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view     Hacked BY ALAMUT. Forum Index -> Space and Extra-solar Colonies All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: